“Stan Stops Talking”
Season 1, Episode 9
February 17, 2013
The kids have noticed that Stan has recently been depressed, and has stopped doing what he loves, like talking. After Tyler, Chloe and Avery share their stories with each other, they notice that ever since Stan heard about Chloe's seventh birthday party, he has been feeling sad because of it. When the kids throw Stan a birthday party, they attempt to play fetch with him, but Chloe rushes to get it instead. She almost gets hit by a car, which finally gets Stan to talk. He reveals that he has been depressed because the family will eventually fall apart when Tyler chases his dream of driving a food truck and Avery going off to college (while Stan tells Chloe incidentally she's "one foot from the grave"). They soon help him by making him realize that he should live in the present instead of the future, and they cure Stan.
Meanwhile, Chloe keeps changing her mind about what kind of birthday party to throw - a fun one with a bounce house and zoo animals, a fashion party, or a Chloe-themed one. She picks the Chloe-themed ones, where all of her guests dress up like her with curly orange hair, which creeps Chloe out. Later that day, Bennett is seen carrying Chloe to bed. But Ellen is putting Chloe to bed on the couch. But then Tyler walks in with the real Chloe in his arms, and they realize that they had mistaken some of the guests as the real Chloe.
- Blake Michael as Tyler James
- G. Hannelius as Avery Jennings
- Francesca Capaldi as Chloe James
- Stephen Full as the voice of Stan
- Regan Burns as Bennett James
- Beth Littleford as Ellen Jennings
- Mick as Stan
- Bennett recalls memories of his former pet trout, Leo.
- Bennett and Avery make a Star Wars reference when they try to use the force to open the door in Bennett's study.
- It is revealed in this episode that Tyler's nickname as a child was TyTy.
- This is the first episode to not have the title be a pun.
- In this episode Stan stops talking, because he heard that Avery and Tyler are gonna go away when they grow up.
- This is the only episode where Stan does only one blog.
| To view the Stan Stops Talking gallery, click here.